Sports and Competitions
To volunteer, click here.
To view the 2015 Winter Games Coaches Handbook, please click here.
When: Saturday, February 28 and Sunday, March 1
Cross-Country Skiing and Snowshoeing
Location: Eversource Energy, 34 Hopmeadow Street, Simsbury (Rte. 10/202)
- Competition - 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Saturday); 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Sunday)
- Awards - 12:45 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Saturday); 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Sunday) View the cross-county skiing and snowshoeing competition schedule here: PDF / Excel
Figure Skating and Speed Skating
Location: International Skating Center of CT, 1375 Hopmeadow Street, Simsbury
- Figure Skating Competition - 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (Saturday);
10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (Sunday)
- Figure Skating Awards - 1:15 p.m. to 2 p.m. (Sunday)
- Speed Skating Competition - 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Saturday);
8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Sunday)
- Speed Skating Awards - 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Sunday)
Alpine Skiing and Snowboarding
Location: Ski Sundown, 126 Ratlum Road, New Hartford
- Competition - 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Saturday); 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (Sunday)
- Awards - 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Saturday); 9:30 to 1 p.m. (Sunday)
Unified and Traditional Floor Hockey
Location: Pratt & Whitney Hangar, East Hartford
Located off Silver Lane; accessible through Cabella's parking lot
- Competition - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Saturday); 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Sunday)
- Awards - 12 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Sunday)
To view the schedule of Floor Hockey events, please click here.
Who: Over 900 athletes and Unified partners are expected to participate.
An additional 1,200 volunteers and 300 coaches will lend their support.
The public is invited to attend at no cost to cheer on the athletes and witness great displays of sportsmanship, teamwork and personal achievements in sports.
Winter Games competitions will kick-off with opening ceremonies at each venue that include the ceremonial lighting of the Special Olympics Flame of Hope, announcement of athletes, brief remarks, and the declaration of Special Olympics’ Athlete Oath. Events conclude with the presentation of awards.
All events are free and open to the public.
Supporting Sponsor: Olsen ConstructionContributing Sponsor: Valley Sports Center
72 LOCAL PROGRAMS - 27 OLYMPIC-TYPE SPORTS – 4 ANNUAL MAJOR GAMES – SPORTS TRAINING & COMPETITIONS ALL YEAR ROUND
Special Olympics provides year-round sports training and competition opportunities to athletes with intellectual disabilities. It also offers Special Olympics Unified Sports® which teams up athletes with intellectual disabilities and their peers without disabilities, known as Unified partners, to play sports. Participants train for a minimum of eight weeks prior to competition and this training is offered through our Local Programs.
Winter Games - View video here.
Fall Sports Festival
Holiday Sports Classic
For a full listing of our events please visit our Calendar.
For specific sports rules visit the Coaches Corner.